1. He grew up in Housing Board rental flat in Tiong Bahru till his mid-20s.
2. Mr Lui Tuck Yew lost his mother when he was 6 and his bank clerk father raised him and his older twin brothers.
3. Managed to get a flat in Bukit Batok some years after he started working.
4. Used to take MRT to work before he resigned to enter politics.
5. He won a Singapore Armed Forces scholarship to Britain’s Cambridge University, rose to become a Rear Admiral and chief of the Navy, before moving on to be chief executive first of the Maritime and Port Authority and then of the Housing Board.
6. His working experiences as of 2006 are summed up in three words – Listen, Learn, Lead”.
Stories on social mobility always strike a chord with me. Sigh…. G did not sell him in this light. Playing up his background might soften the impact as an incompetent minister.
It’s too late now. Wishing you the best.
Jamie – Rise of The Strawberry Generation (RTSN)
Visit https://www.facebook.com/RiseofTheStrawberryNation for more of our idiosyncrasies.
“Unless you’ve stayed all your life in a rental flat, home ownership may be something you take for granted. It was almost beyond our dreams,” Lui Tuck Yew